February 16, 2016 Leave a comment
There are many ways to approach problem-solving, one of which we often use in business, is called Root Cause Analysis. Root Cause Analysis (RCA) is a systemic approach and a way of linear thinking that gets to the bottom of why a something occurs and figuring out what might be done to prevent these problems in the future. Below is one five-step process used to solve for RCA.
1. Clearly define the problem:
- What is happening?
- What symptoms come along with what is happening?
2. Collect and analyze the data:
- How long has this problem existed?
- What is the impact of this problem?
- What can we learn about it?
3. Determine possible causes by asking “Why?” continually until you can go no further:
- What happened first, second, third that brought us to this setback?
- What conditions are allowing this to occur?
- Why? Why? Why??
4. Identify the root cause:
- What is responsible for the problems identified in #3?