Strengthsfinder Profile: Are We Leading From Our Strengths?
April 10, 2009 3 Comments
I have read “Now Discover Your Strengths” by Markus Buckingham and found it compelling. In the book, Buckingham argues that we spend too much time in corporate america trying to improve on our “weaknesses” or, as others might say, “opportunities”. His theory, is that if we know our strengths and build on them to be even better, we will be more successful. I agree.
Authors and researchers at the Gallup Organization, analyzed results of interviews conducted by Gallup of over 1.7 million employees from 101 companies and representing 63 countries. When asked, only 20 percent of these employees stated that they were using their strengths everyday. Readers of this book are given access to a Strength Finder Profile so they can learn the areas where they shine. Below were the results from mine:
1. LEARNER – People strong in the Learner theme have a great desire to learn and want to continuously improve. In particular, the process of learning, rather than the outcome, excites them.
2. FOCUS– People strong in the Focus theme can take a direction, follow through, and make the corrections necessary to stay on track. They prioritize, then act.
3. ACTIVATOR – People strong in the Activator theme can make things happen by turning thoughts into action. They can be impatient.
4. COMMAND– People strong in the Command theme have presence. They can take control of a situation and make decisions.
5. INPUT – People strong in the Input theme have a craving to know more. Often they like to collect and archive all kinds of information.
Please share your thoughts below!