#Hashtag defined: A word proceeded with the [ # ] symbol, which is used as a keyword or topic in a Tweet. It helps categorize words or phrases so users can follow a stream. It can also be used to search for others who use the same hashtags.
Information about using #hashtags on Twitter:
- The symbol [ # ] before a keyword or phrase, with no spaces. These hashtags are then categorized, which makes them easier to find in the search function.
- Click on a #hashtag word in any message and you will see the most recent tweets using that hashtag.
- Hashtags can be included within the 140 space limit (Best practice only 2-3 hashtags per tweet.)
- Hashtag words become popular & can be Trending Topics.
- Hashtags are also used at conferences, on live video streams or at a large presentation during Q&A.
- Some groups facilitate moderated conversation at set times, using hashtags to discuss topics of interest or share best practices.
- If another tweeter searches for a hashtag you have listed, they may follow you!
Live Stream example: Every Sunday the Oprah Winfrey Network ( @OWNTV ) channel has a program called #SuperSoulSunday and viewers can go to http://tweetchat.com then enter the hashtag to see what everyone is talking about in real-time. Below is a response I received from the OWN Network.
If you have any other tips, please share them below!!